2003 Aug 16 10:24

[vox] [fwd] SIG-BEER-WEST this Saturday 8/16 in San Francisco

----- Forwarded message from David Alban <extasia@extasia.org> -----

SIG-beer-west
Saturday, August 16, 2003 at 6:00pm
San Francisco, CA

Beer.   Mental stimulation.

This event:
  Saturday, 08/16/2003, 6:00pm, at the Toronado, San Francisco

Coming events (third Saturdays):
  Saturday, 09/20/2003, 6:00pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 10/18/2003, 6:00pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 11/15/2003, 6:00pm, location to be determined
  Saturday, 12/20/2003, 6:00pm, location to be determined

San Francisco's next social event for computer sysadmins and their
friends, sig-beer-west, will take place on Saturday, August 16, 2003
at the [1]Toronado in San Francisco, CA. The Toronado has an
impressive selection of [2]draught and [3]bottled beer. Festivities
will start at 6:00pm and continue until we've all left. The Toronado
has an excellent selection of beer, but no food. It is perfectly okay
to score food from neighboring establishments and bring it back to the
Toronado to eat. Also, after we are all full with beer we may roam off
to a nearby restaurant.

     [1] http://www.toronado.com/
     [2] http://www.toronado.com/draft.htm
     [3] http://www.toronado.com/bottles.htm

Everyone is welcome at this event. We mean it! Please feel free to
forward this information and to invite friends, co-workers, and others
who might enjoy lifting a glass with interesting folks from all over
the place. (O.K., you do have to be of legal drinking age to attend.)

For directions to the Toronado, please use the [4]excellent directions
at their website. When you show up at the Toronado, you should look
for some kind of home made sig-beer-west sign. We will try to make it
obvious who we are. :-)

     [4] http://www.toronado.com/map.htm

Note: Check the tables in the back room for us if you don't see us at
the tables by the bar. The back room is back and to the left.

Can't come this month? Mark your calendar for next month.
sig-beer-west is always on the third Saturday of the month.

Any Comments, Questions, or Suggestions of Things to Do Later on That
Evening ... email [5]Fiid or [6]David.

     [5] fiid .AT. fiid .DOT. net
     [6] extasia .AT. extasia .DOT. org

There is a sig-beer-west mailing list. To subscribe, send an email
with "subscribe" in the body to <sig-beer-west-request@fiid.net>.

sig-beer-west FAQ

1.  Q: Your announcement says "computer sysadmins and their
       friends".  How do I know if I'm a friend of a computer
       sysadmin? I don't even know what one is.
    A: You're a friend of a computer sysadmin if you can find the
       sig-beer-west sign at this month's sig-beer-west event.

2.  Q: I'm not really a beer person. In fact I'm interested in
       hanging out, but not in drinking. Would I be welcome?
    A: Absolutely! The point is to hang out with fun, interesting
       folks.  Please do join us.

3.  Q: Is parking difficult around the Toronado, like maybe I should
       factor this into my travel time?
    A: Yes.

sig-beer-west was started in February 2002 when a couple Washington,
D.C. based systems administrators who moved to the San Francisco Bay
area wanted to continue a [7]dc-sage tradition, sig-beer, which is
described in dc-sage web space as:

     SIG-beer, as in "Special Interest Group - Beer" ala ACM, or as
     in "send the BEER signal to that process".

The original SIG-beer gathering takes place in Washington DC,
usually on the first Saturday night of the month.

     [7] http://www.dc-sage.org/

----- End forwarded message -----
[PHP sig & BALUG list sig removed to save a few bytes.]