2003 Aug 12 18:31

Re: [vox] Survey question - self-harvesting our lists for someoneelse?

Re: [vox] Survey question - self-harvesting our lists for someoneelse?

Bill Kendrick wrote:

So LUGOD has been asked if we could help conduct a survey on Open Source for
a local university (no, not UC Davis :) ).
<snippage>

Before we actually go ahead with this, I wanted to see what people's feelings were
on this.  I had considered a pre-#1 step where we'd post a message to the list
in question and say "Hey, people subscribed will be randomly-selected to maybe take
part in some survey.  Let us know if you wish to opt-out."
I hate to take a cavalier attitude about people's privacy; but it seems to me that given the precautions you've outlined, nobody can legitimately complain after being given a couple of weeks to opt-out of the survey pool. This is a mailing list, after all, to which basically anyone can subscribe and contribute on-topic posts. Open Source research is de facto on-topic.

Would even this be sufficient?  Are we setting ourselves up for a bad precident?
On the other hand, you may want to set up some way for mailing list subscribers to express their preferences about participating in "official" research projects so that in the future this is a non-issue.

What are peoples thoughts on this?  Would the fact that the survey is being
conducted by academia, and the fact that LUGOD would be the 'vessel' for the e-mails,
be sufficient to keep from pissing people off?
Finally, as Rod pointed out, publicizing the LUGOD privacy policy would be a good idea.

Your thoughts are welcome...  thank you!

-bill!
root@lugod.org

PS - I'm not sure what the time-line is for all this, either.  The process of getting
this survey to the point it is now seems to have taken months and months, so I doubt
we'll be asked to start randomly e-mailing anyone any time soon.
--
Marc Elliot Hall		www.hallmarc.net/quick_resume.html
P.O. Box 435