2003 Jul 29 23:25

Re: [vox] Gates on Linux & Sco

Up spake Bill Kendrick on Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:37:37PM -0700:
> The odd thing is, Gates seems to be implying that Linux contains MS _IP_
> (Intellectual Property), not necessarily _code_.

The ironic part is that MS's nose is not exactly clean.  Remember when
they ripped off BSD's TCP/IP stack?

> I'm guessing examples might include Samba, for example.
> (Reverse-engineered to work the way MS's SMB works.)

Hmmm.  I recall from Jeremy Allison's talk that MS seems tacitly OK with
Samba.  (In fact, that MS engineers were glad to have a copy of the
Samba docs...)

--n twn

***
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes."--E.W. Dijkstra
Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital drivel for a weary world.