2003 Jul 29 03:13

Re: [vox] Gates on Linux & Sco

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 12:04:02PM +0530, karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:

> I like this comment :)
>
> There is a way to prove there is no MS code in Linux:

Yeah, pretty funny. :^)

The odd thing is, Gates seems to be implying that Linux contains MS _IP_
(Intellectual Property), not necessarily _code_.

I'm guessing examples might include Samba, for example.
(Reverse-engineered to work the way MS's SMB works.)

This kind of reminds me of a question I was gonna post earlier tonight...
Why didn't Xerox go after Apple, Microsoft, Commodore, Atari, the X Consortium, etc.,
for GUIs.

I read the book "Dealers in Lightning," but it was a couple of years ago, so my
memory is hazy. :)  The rumors I remember hearing, though, was that Apple was going
to go after MS and others for stealing the windows/icons/mouse idea, but Xerox
came down on Apple about it.  Were they (Xerox) hands-off with the other companies
out there making GUIs???