January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jul 30 11:35

[vox] Gates on Linux & Sco

So there's an article where Bill Gates is quoted regarding the Linux/SCO issue
[ http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=43532 ],
and I read this:

  "Under the GPL, all tweaks and applications developed for the operating system must
  be released to the community."

Uh...  "All ... applications developed for [Linux] must be released to the community?"
<doo type="scooby">  Ruuuhhh??  </doo>

I wonder... is this a lack of understanding on the part of Gates, or the author of
the article?

Another line, directly quoting Gates, goes:

  "'One thing about the GPL is that you can't just license IBM Linux, or Red Hat Linux,'
  Gates said.  'The way the GPL works, if you license any Linux, you have to license all
  Linux.'"

Okay, that's kind of true.  It really depends on what he means by "all Linux."
And it's also obviously a statement talking about the _kernel_, although I'm uncertain
Gates (or the author of the article) understand the distinction between
"The Linux Kernel" and "What Joe User Calls Linux" (aka GNU/Linux, or
Apache/GNOME/BSD/GNU/KDE/etc/Linux ;^) )

Just ranting,