2003 Jul 23 15:01

Re: [vox] linux+ certification

On Wed 23 Jul 03,  1:51 PM, Nicole the Wonder Nerd <ana.ng@tmbg.org> said:
> Up spake Peter Jay Salzman on Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 01:28:03PM -0700:
> > reports bad sectors, using the "vendor supplied diagnostic disk" rather
> > than first unmounting the partition and running fsck.
>
> Vendor-supplied diagnostic disks that work under Linux?  Must be nice.
>
> > all in all, it was a pretty interesting experience.  the test was on
> > some kind of windows machine, of course.  the irony of taking a linux
> > certification.  but then again, comptia is NOT a friend of open source;
> > they're bedfellows of microsoft.
>
> I took my GRE at a Sylvan Learning Center in Sacto in late '99.  I was sort
> of expecting a lean, mean Machine Of Doom, you know, running a
> UNIX or something and locked down tight against cheaters.  Imagine my
> surprise when I was shown a Windows 3.1 system, which froze while the
> test center operator was getting it all set up for me.

it was probably dust bunnies in the SIMM slots...  ;-)

> This does not
> auger well, I remember thinking.  But I did fine on the test, so I didn't
> complain.

heh.  i took my GRE at a sylvan center near san francisco.  of course, i
didn't know anything about linux back then...

with all the news stories, i was a little worried that mister "i didn't
like my microsoft test" was going to pull out an AK-47 and start taking
out his cluelessness on the rest of us...   :(  !

pete