2003 Jul 14 16:31

[vox] Mandatory Access Controls

Hello,

I have a very basic question regarding mandatory access controls(MACs).

Using the following diagram:

---------------------         ---------------------
|    Subject         |        |     Object         |
---------------------         ---------------------
|    Clearance       |        |    Classification  |
|  Ex - Top Secret   |        |  Ex - Top Secret   |

In the MAC model the "need-to-know" flag, restricts the subject to access the
object.  Is this flag, part of the subject's attributes or the object's
attributes?  OR is "need-to-know" a seperate element, like subject and object,
in the MAC model?

Thank you in advance.

--
Subba Rao