2003 Jun 13 20:22

Re: [vox] Zaurus 5500 vs 5600...

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 07:18:14PM -0700, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> Not sure which one would be best to go for. There is currently quite a
> bit of difference in price between the two models and from reading the
> spec's nothing really jumps out that makes 5600 a must buy over the
> 5500.

The big diffs are:

                                SL-5500                SL-5600
                                -------                -------
  Memory/storage configuration  64MB RAM, 16MB ROM     32MB RAM, 64MB ROM
                                1/2 RAM for storage    All RAM for RAM
                                ROM only 'flashable'   ROM writable (storage)

  Sound hardware                Only headphone jack    Headphone jack
                                                       Built-in mono speaker
                                                       Built-in mic

  Battery                       900mA                  1700mA

  Software version              [can be upgraded]

> Finally, how well do these sync with Linux systems?

QtopiaDesktop is what they use.  The SL-5500 used XML format files for
PIM storage (addresses, to-do list, etc.).  The SL-5600 (and the updated
"3.10 ROM" software for the SL-5500) do not.

This means some 3rd party (read: Open Source) software still only works
with the old, XML-based stuff.  (Syncing with Evolution, for example...
At least, I _think_.)

Enjoy & good luck!