January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jun 14 19:46

[vox] Mandrake vs. SuSe?

I switched from Red Hat to Mandrake a couple of years ago and I really like
Mandrake.  I use Linux like most people use Windows.  So I don't do anything
complicated with computers, and therefore haven't had the need to learn much.
Recently, however, I've gotten into a little problem with Mandrake over an
order and I'm thinking about switching to SuSe.

So does anyone have any thoughts about which is the better distro, especially
from the point of view of a defacto newbie.

Here's an example of the types of things I'm interested in.  I subscribe to
the kde-linux listserve and it seems that a lot of the traffic has to do with
Red Hat users that can't get KDE working properly.  I want a KDE-friendly
distro.

Here's another example.  Mandrake comes configured for the desktop user so I
don't have to log in as root and type /sbin in order to shut down like I have
to do with my Red Hat distro.  I don't want to bother with re-configuring Red
Hat.

Thank you.

Bob