2003 Jun 10 20:34

[vox] [article] Microsoft Removal 101

Sorry for the Yahoo! link.  I don't have time to look up a more permanent URL:

  http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=620&e=19&u=/nf/21694

    "Organizations thinking of terminating Windows desktop licenses and
    removing the de facto industry standard operating system from their
    networks finally have a legitimate basis for undertaking such a
    high-risk switch. ...

    "So, is Microsoft removal possible? Although the labor and costs
    required to make such a switch can be daunting, some organizations --
    guitar string manufacturer Ernie Ball, for example -- have made
    successful attempts. But for most organizations, removing Microsoft
    from the desktop may seem so difficult that they give up before they
    even try. ...

    "According to Enderle, Linux adoption is analogous to the adoption of
    client/server in the 1980s. The early adopters incurred massive costs
    and paved the way for the organizations that came later."