2003 Jun 02 17:49

[vox] fun tech support call

This weekend I was helping a friend troubleshoot a wireless network.  It
turned out that one of her wireless NICS took a crap.

So... I called NetGear and they made me jump through several hoops --
changing settings in Winbloze, etc.  They finally agreed to send out a
new NIC.

The kinda funny thing is.... The tech support guy had a nice accent, so
I asked him where he was.  He was in India!  Not surprising really, I've
heard of many support services based in India.  So I told him that I use
Linux and said he uses Linux at home but "was not trained" to support
Linux at NetGear.  Again, I wasn't surprised he uses Linux -- because if
its popularity in India.  He uses SuSE -- which I guess is popular
overseas.  He told me he prefers Linux, but has to support Winbloze at
work.  So sad... ;-)

btw  I also had a NetGear print server take a crap on me a couple months
ago.  I don't think I'd buy their products again -- even though they
tech support guy was very nice.

Ok... enough chatting for now.

Charles