2003 Jun 02 09:58

Re: [vox] Console Based IM

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 05:49:35PM +0530, karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:
> Can somebody recommend very fast console based IM.
>
> I am using CenterICQ but it somehow not able to handle too many users.  The
> screen suddenly becomes garbled.
>
> Anybody using console based IM for a Long Time connecting to Yahoo, Msn,
> aol.

I have used two different programs for this: naim and pork.

I found naim about 18 months ago, and started using it.

naim uses the TOC protocol, and so it can't read other users' away
messages as part of their profile, nor can it handle storing buddy
aliases on the server (although it can handle storing buddy
screennames on the server) naim can handle ICQ, and naim can also
handle IRC.

naim is available at http://naim.n.ml.org/

Naim is not packaged for Debian, although when I was using it I was
packaging it for myself (but I don't think I still have the packaging
stuff for naim)

as soon as I found pork about 6 months ago, I ditched naim. (although
I'm thinking about bringing it back for IRC)

pork uses the OSCAR protocol, so it can read other users' away
messages as part of their profile, and it also can store and read
buddy aliases from the server. this makes it totally interoperable
with gaim, moreso than naim. pork can handle ICQ but not
IRC.

Pork is available at: http://dev.ojnk.net

Pork has also been packged for Debian

I recommend pork.
Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu