2003 May 30 19:47

Re: [vox] SCO suing IBM over their Linux activity

Re: [vox] SCO suing IBM over their Linux activity

--5cSRzy0VGBWAML+b

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 05:20:03PM -0400, Mike Simons wrote:
> My own highlights from today's SCO conference call:

  One item that came up that I forgot to mention...=20

  One person pointed out that SCO before being purchased by Caldera
was merging support for Linux into their kernel.  Then once part of=20
Caldera they made a number of public announcements about merging the=20
best of their Unix into Linux... so he asked 'is it possible that the=20
code you claim is in the Linux kernel is actually originally from Linux=20
or had been put into Linux by SCO engineers doing their job?'

  The question was pretty much blown off, "we will show the code next
week".  ...the follow article raises most of these points put very well.

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/05/18/2214204.shtml?tid=3D3

Sue Me? Sue You? SCO, Linux & Unix
=3D=3D=3D
  Even before Caldera bought out SCO's Unix, SCO was adding Linux
  functionality to UnixWare .
 =20
  Specifically, SCO added Linux compatibility to its Unix properties with
  operating system packages like UnixWare's Linux Kernel Personality (LKP)
  . The LKP enables UnixWare to run Linux binaries.=20
  [...]
  Clearly, before its latest management team arrived, SCO was striving to
  merge the best of Unix and Linux together.
  [...]
  So, given SCO's cross-breeding of Linux and Unix, is it not possible
  that if there is GPL  code within Unix? This remains unproven, but if it
  turns out to be true, couldn't that code have been put there by SCO
  programmers? After all, SCO still refuses to say exactly what Unix code
  was incorporated into Linux.
=3D=3D=3D

--=20

--5cSRzy0VGBWAML+b