2003 May 30 16:39

Re: [vox] SCO suing IBM over their Linux activity

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> what if the combined court cost, unwanted publicity and nervous
> customers turns out to be more expensive than buying SCO?

Its not just money, it would be in effect the principle of paying to set a
bad precedent.  IBM has historically had many opportunities to just settle
conflicts by acquisition and has usually opted to 'sit out' or 'smash' the
opposition, because it functions as a deterrent.