2003 May 23 01:23

Re: [vox] OT: request for a Mac user

On 2003.05.22 23:17, Henry House wrote:
> A while back, LUGOD salvaged an old Mac clone for use as a demo
> machine. I
> apparently need a bootable floppy with MacOS 8.1 (or later) in order
> install Linux on it. An image of such a floppy is aledgedly available
> at
>
> <ftp://ftp.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/US/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_8.1_Update/Disk_Tools_PPC.img.bin>
>
> but the FTP site is unresponsive. Anyway, the file is an image in
> Apple's
> proprietary format, which requires Apple Disk Copy for MacOS to write
> to a
> floppy. So I am asking some kind Mac user to make me a floppy of the
> above
> image, or equivalent bootable floppy. Must me Mac OS 8.1 or later!
> Please
> mail me off-list if you can help.

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_8.1_Update/Disk_Tools_PPC.img.bin

Here's the new URL. Use macunpack from the macutils package,
to unmacbinarieze the file, and then you should be able to
just dd the resulting .img file onto the floppy. I've done
something similar to create a Macintosh CD before from Linux,
but I haven't tried your exact scenario before.

Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu