2003 May 13 19:03

Re: [vox] Stupid User Tricks

On Tue 13 May 03,  3:52 PM, Norm Matloff <matloff@laura.cs.ucdavis.edu> opined:

> I had thought that everyone had rm aliased, e.g.
>
> alias rm 'mv \!* ~/Trash'
>
> Norm

that's a good one.  there's also libtrash, which i used for awhile.  for
some reason stopped using it.  don't remember why.

intercepts calls to unlink(). basically does the same thing as the
alias.

Package: libtrash
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 152
Maintainer: Timshel Knoll <timshel@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.0-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1)
Filename: pool/main/libt/libtrash/libtrash_2.0-1_i386.deb
Size: 45586
MD5sum: 5353699d8a2ca3f9af70808b9f27f869
 libtrash is a shared library which, when preloaded,
 implements a trash can under GNU/Linux. This way, your
 mistakes (at least those of the "rm -rf dir /" class :-))
 will no longer cause the loss of a week's work or your
 system's binaries.

good luck richard.

pete