2003 May 08 11:17

Re: [vox] OS/2 and Linux, why has IBM changed?

Re: [vox] OS/2 and Linux, why has IBM changed?

--On Thursday, May 08, 2003 10:09:27 -0700 Kevin Hooke <kevin@kevinhooke.com> wrote:

Why didn't OS/2 take off? In my opinion, lack of support from IBM
itself, and probably a screwed up relationship with Microsoft regarding
the OS/2 kernel which was co-written with Microsoft - incidently, the
same code that later became the NT kernel... :-) I bet there was some
legal pressure somewhere regarding this arrangement that prevented IBM
from fully pushing OS/2.
You may remember that when Win95 was first released, IBM was virtually the last PC maker to sign a contract to sell PCs preloaded with Win95. The negotiations lasted until something like 11:30 the night before the day of the release.

During the MS antitrust trial, some information about these negotiations came out. It seems OS/2 was the big sticking point. IBM wanted to sell PCs preloaded with OS/2, but MS wasn't having any of that. MS absolutely refused to let IBM sell PCs with Win95 unless IBM agreed not to sell PCs with OS/2. Given the difference in market demand, IBM didn't have much of a choice.

--
Kenneth Herron Kherron@newsguy.com 916-366-7338