2003 May 06 09:48

[vox] Oracle-Linux follow-up

For those that didn't get enough Oracle-speak at the OCFS
presentation:

http://otn.oracle.com/oramag/webcolumns/2003/opinion/talking-linux-
apr.html
-
http://otn.oracle.com/tech/linux/open_source.html

excerpt:

> Firewire Patches fixes some issues with Firewire on Linux and enables
> shared disk on top of firewire drivers. Firewire allows developers to
> easily and cheaply build a clustered system on a shared disk, which is
> useful for testing clustered applications and checking out the advanced
> features of Oracle's Real Application Clusters technology. The Firewire
> cards needed to build a cluster can cost as little as 10% as much as the
> required FiberChannel hardware.

Can someone explain what was said at the meeting about using firewire
"hubs" as a low-end/alternative way of building a server cluster (as
per
above, instead of FibreChannel, e.g. for development/testing)?

Any good web sites that explain firewire networking, and/or sell
the stuff?

Thanks,
Eric