2003 Apr 25 07:29

Re: [vox] libc6

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Ken Bloom wrote:

> Here's a breif history of many important forks, including the fork that
> created this libc/glibc naming confusion.
> http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/essays/forking.html
>   glibc --> Linux libc --> glibc should be about halfway down the page.

Thanks for this reference, Ken.  The history is nice to know.  I still
think it is unfortunate that versions of "libc6" filenames do _not_ track
"glibc" versions... only the API signature of the libc.so.6 shared library
can be used to distinguish which version it really is.

> On 2003.04.24 10:19, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > glibc is same as libcN, where N is 6 IIRC.
> >
> > BSD traditionally uses the BSD versions of the tools, which are
> > horrible
> > compared to the GNU tools, so I can certainly imagine many of them
> > released with the GNU tools.
> >
> > -Mark
> >

> > On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > > even i don't know if this is a vox or vox-tech question.  hah.  :)
> > >
> > > is the GNU C library officially called libc6 or glibc?  the debian
> > > package calls it libc6 (libc version 6), but i see references to
> > glibc
> > > all over the place.  what's the official name for this library?
> > >
> > > also, do *BSD systems use GNU stuff as well?   or do they have their
> > own
> > > set of tools?
> > >
> > > are there any other unix variants that officially use GNU stuff?
> > >
> > > pete
> > >

> --
> I usually have a GPG digital signature included as an attachment.
> If you don't know what it is, either ignore it or visit www.gnupg.org
> Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
> The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing