2003 Apr 24 10:20

Re: [vox] libc6

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:45:06AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> even i don't know if this is a vox or vox-tech question.  hah.  :)
>
> is the GNU C library officially called libc6 or glibc?  the debian
> package calls it libc6 (libc version 6), but i see references to glibc
> all over the place.  what's the official name for this library?

The term "glibc" definitely identifies it as GNU libc. The name of the
source package is glibc.

> also, do *BSD systems use GNU stuff as well?   or do they have their own
> set of tools?
>
> are there any other unix variants that officially use GNU stuff?

I use a FreeBSD system for my web/mail server (I'm posting directly
from it now, as at work we just have Windblows. I have Cygwin
installed, but...). There definitely are GNU tools around, chief of
which is their reliance on GCC. GNU Make is available, but "make" !=
"gmake". "awk" is "gawk", though... basically, it appears they use GNU
when they must, and other when they can... they definitely don't use
glibc.

-Micah