January 6: Social gathering
2003 Apr 22 15:35

[vox] OT: [Fwd: Stealth DMCA. Be afraid. Be very afraid...]

Hello,

I know some of you use Tivo, and that uses Linux, and this is a device
that could be impacted by this. Also, wireless access, and multiple
machines on DSL, and network devices in your home could be under this.

Sometimes laws are amazing....

Subject: Stealth DMCA. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
From:    alaskan@telusplanet.net
Date:    Mon, April 21, 2003 15:37
To:      bugtraq@securityfocus.com

Not sure if this is alarmist, or even the correct venue to address this
issue, but I would think it worthy of mention to everyone who reads this
list.

http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/states/200304_sdmca_eff_analysis.php

The proposed super-DMCA statutes reverse this traditional rule. Under
these statutes, you would not be entitled to connect anything to your
cable, satellite, or DSL line without the express permission of your
service provider. The model MPAA bill accomplishes this by making it a
crime to possess a device to "receive ? transmit, [or] re-transmit" any
communication service without the "express authorization" of the
communication service provider. The various pending state bills
include similar language.

This provision would make you a criminal for simply connecting a TV, PC,
TiVo or VCR (all of which can "receive" communication services) to the
cable TV line in your living room without your cable company's permission.
It could also make you a criminal for connecting a Wi-Fi wireless gateway
(which can "retransmit" Internet traffic) to your DSL or cable modem line
without the permission of your ISP. "

Take particular note of the one-sided attorney's fee provision (You loose,
you pay for both sides fees. You win, MPAA doesn't pay yours). and
automatic injunctions (without their having to prove they suffered any
harm).

And Remote downgrades, abusive damages, etc. etc.

Maybe it's time to boycott all American Movies and Music before
the MPAA gets world domination through through stealth legislation. And
write your state legislatures before it's too late!