2003 Mar 31 12:27

Re: [vox] [OT] CA No-call list

begin Micah J. Cowan <micah@cowan.name>
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:00:06PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > cool!
> >
> > i wish they'd do something with spam, though.  seems like spam has just
> > spiked in the past 48 hours.  the format looks the same; must be the
> > same spammer out on a binge.  it's purely commercial - "faster than
> > light" gigabit networking, schlong enhancement (that's a quote),
> > mountain grown coffee... for the past who-knows-how-long most of my spam
> > has been nigeria scams and its many variations.
> >
> > for awhile, i even had some spam free days (started using spamcop RBL as
> > well as ORDB).
> >
> > the count today alone is getting close to 10, and it's not even noon
> > yet...   :(
>
> Is that all? I've got 182 spam messages in my SpamAssassinated box
> since Friday.
>
> Luckily, I expect the number to drop dramatically pretty soon; most of
> it goes to an email address whose domain I'll be allowing to expire
> shortly.
>
> -Micah

i used to have numbers like that, but i take a proactive stance on spam,
rather than retroactive (which i suspect you take if you only use sa).

what i do:

1. report it to spamcop
2. use ORDB rbl (dropped spam count by a LOT.  thanks rod!)
3. use spamcop rbl (dropped spam count be even more.  thanks mike!)
4. wrapped exim with tcpd and whenever i get 2 pieces of spam from a
   network within the spam of 1 month, drop the network in my
   tcpwrappers.
5. have spam assassin on all accounts i can't protect the MTA with rbl's
   and wrap exim with tcpd.

it dropped my count of maybe 20-50 a day (which include spam to the
lugod lists) to a low of 5-10 a week.

but something happened just recenlty....

pete