2003 Mar 25 00:24

Re: [vox] directories - too much of a good thing?

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Mike Simons wrote:

>   Uhm... well if you post your homework in a public forum and there is
> discussion about it before they patent it, there is prior art which
> could be used to overturn the patent.

In the "Engineering Responsibilities" course, our lawyer professor told us
there is a one year grace period after publishing a paper to start the
patent process and still be protected by law.

>   Posting it in a public place could be bad if they claim copyright
> ownership over your homework assignments.

Any original work produced is copyrighted, as far as I understand.

> - Which rights does the school claim on student's works?
> - Do you have any URLs?

No URLs.  Just what I heard here and there.  If you got URLs, that'd an
interesting read.  ^_^;

>   I don't see how they have a legal footing to claim ownership of
> student works because there was no compensation for the work (in
> fact you paid *them* to be able to perform the work).

That's a good point, but a grad student told me anything I submit for a
grade is property of the school.  But I didn't sign anything (except when
I was working part-time for the school, they made me sign this thing that
any patentable work I produce at work should first be considered for
ownership -- or was it for purchase -- by the school.  They told me,
"well, it'll probably not happen but just in case...")

But if you think from the school's point of view, the majority of the
funding is coming from the government and the alumni, not from your
tuition (I think!), so perhaps it's valid to argue they're giving you more
than you're giving them.  Anyway, OT.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim