2003 Mar 24 16:56

Re: [vox] directories - too much of a good thing?

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 04:33:58AM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> PS: Perhaps I should patent the programming techniques I came up with when
> I was a student...  oh wait, the school has the rights on those since I
> turned 'em in for grades.  darn!

  Uhm... well if you post your homework in a public forum and there is
discussion about it before they patent it, there is prior art which
could be used to overturn the patent.

  Posting it in a public place could be bad if they claim copyright
ownership over your homework assignments.

- Which rights does the school claim on student's works?
- Do you have any URLs?

  I don't see how they have a legal footing to claim ownership of
student works because there was no compensation for the work (in
fact you paid *them* to be able to perform the work).

    TTFN,
      Mike