2003 Mar 22 15:35

Re: [vox] directories - too much of a good thing?

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 02:06:22PM -0800, Katie wrote:

> So, I've been using linux for about 3 months and the files in my home
> directory have been getting more and more disorganized.  I've been
> trying to organize them better, but in some instances to get to a file I
> have to go through 5 or more directories which isn't as convenient as I
> thought, especially when I start forgetting what the directories are
> called, oops. :-)  I guess I'd just like to hear from other people as to
> how they set up their file systems, what works best, what doesn't, the
> more directories the better, keep them few and general.  Or is there some
> nifty little trick that I've totally missed?

What I do is start with a few very general directories (work,
school, mail, etc.) If one of those gets too cluttered, I throw in
some subdirectories as needed, like school/ecs253, school/mat185a,
and subdivide those if/when they become cluttered, so I get
school/ecs253/proj1, school/ecs253/proj2, and so on. That way, I only
get a deep directory tree when I really need it, and other stuff stays
near the top.

When that fails, I use locate.

--
Samuel Merritt