2003 Mar 20 19:27

Re: [vox] FW: Is Intel's "Centrino" Techno-Latin for "No Linux?"

Re: [vox] FW: Is Intel's "Centrino" Techno-Latin for "No Linux?"

begin R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>
> Micheal Robertson, founder of Linux, makes some observations about the
> dichotomy in Intel over support for Linux, especially when it comes to
> their new Centrino chip:
>
> http://www.lindows.com/lindows_michaelsminutes.php

michael has some good commentaries.  this one was a bit too long, but
still good.  the juicy part was the last 2 paragraphs though.  ;)

i'm sure he's not lying about anything, but i find myself wishing that a
"linux spokesperson" like mad dog or perens would write something on
this topic.

and do chips really have "drivers" per se?   did intel really create a
"pentium driver"?   never heard of it.  i thought they just release
specs and an instruction set.

> vi: "The way God meant for man to edit text files..."

btw, if you like vi, check out cgdb.sourceforge.net.  it's totally
trippy!  the coolest thing i've seen in awhile.

pete