2003 Mar 18 12:27

Re: [vox] Demo today

I was previously unaware of the magic sysreq keys. They do look useful, and I read the documentation as you suggest. From what I can tell, it is compiled in my kernel (CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y), but I am wondering if it is disabled with the run-time command: "echo "0" > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq", as suggested by the documentation. In fact, my /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq contains the single character "0". Where would I find this run time command? Can I just delete it or comment it out? Thanks,

Jonathan

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
hi doug,

check out /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/Documentation/sysrq.txt

it's very short. basically, you make the kernel:

1. flush buffers ("sync disks")
2. remount all partitions as read-only
3. reboot

print screen == sysrq

alt-sysrq-s flush
alt-sysrq-u remount partitions as read-only
alt-sysrq-b reboot

you can actually send TERM and KILL to all processes. this is the kind
of thing you should really read about before using. it's short and
well written.

pete

begin R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>
Okay, so explain to me the magic sysreq keys... :-) I experience lockups
sometimes when I'm trying to start up Win4Lin. It hoses my machine so
badly that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace won't even kill X (and Ctrl-Alt-Fn doesn't
even work. I have to hard restart when that happens).