2003 Mar 14 13:52

Re: [vox] CD burn request for Saturday's demo

Re: [vox] CD burn request for Saturday's demo

begin Robert G. Scofield <rscofield@afes.com>
> On Friday 14 March 2003 10:06 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > but i didn't need instructions at all.   if you install via rpm or deb,
> > i think it's all taken care for you.  no wierd /net options to use.
> >
> > pete
>
> Okay, but according to my old Star Office 5.1 instructions (which I at one
> time wanted to destroy but never got around to) there are three different
> types of installation:
>
> 1.  Single User Installation
>
> 2.  Network Installation
>
> 3.  User Installation

packaged versions do the "right thing".  without worrying about all that
nonsense.   star office must have brainstormed on the most hair-brained
method of installation.  what were they thinking?

> On my system I have a personal account and a business account.  If you have
> more than one account you do #2 followed by #3.  So maybe we should do a FAQ
> like Bill says, and lay out the different options.

who's "we", tonto?    ;)

after i finish writing my book on gdb, finish my phd, get married,
complete my move across country, fix the last few problems with the
lugod mailing lists, finish my 15 hour end-of-the-quarter grading and
successfully land a fun and high paying job i'd be more than happy to
write the FAQ.   ;)

> I don't know what it would have been like had I (read "Rod Roark" here)
> installed Open Office from the Mandrake CD's.  But since we're talking about
> passing out CD's that are not part of a Linux distro, maybe we should write
> something up about the three options.

why not just burn the rpm and deb packages?  i dunno about rpm, but i
didn't have to fiddle with any of that nonsense on debian.

> In my case I did #1 first.  And then I realized that that was not the type of
> installation I wanted.  So I removed Open Office and did the other install.

yup.  been there, done that.  twice, if not thrice.

that's one of the reasons why i gave up on star office.

pete