2003 Mar 10 11:07

RevolutionOS in Sonoma County

  • To: vox@listMAPSs.lugod.org
  • Subject: RevolutionOS in Sonoma County
  • From: Eric Eisenhart <eriMAPSc@nblug.org>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:47:16 -0800

For you Davis folks that missed LUGOD's screening of RevolutionOS, NBLUG in
Sonoma County has a screening coming up on this Saturday.  I also understand
that sometime in the next couple of weeks thinkgeek.com will have the
special edition version on sale.

Here's the info (also up at http://nblug.org/):

TOPIC: REVOLUTION OS Screening
WHERE: Sonoma State Campus Schulz Info Center, Room 2015 (2nd floor)
WHEN: Saturday, March 15th, 2003 @ 2:00PM

The movie runs for about an hour and a half, and we plan to start it right
at 2:00PM, so plan to show up around 1:40PM.

We'll be showing this on a large projection television; we were hoping to
show the special edition DVD, but it's not shipping until a week after our
screening.

    REVOLUTION OS tells the inside story of the hackers who rebelled against
    the proprietary software model and Microsoft to create GNU/Linux and the
    Open Source movement.

    On June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said "Linux is a cancer
    that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it
    touches."

    Microsoft fears GNU/Linux, and rightly so.  GNU/Linux and the Open
    Source & Free Software movements arguably represent the greatest threat
    to Microsoft's way of life.  Shot in cinemascope on 35mm film in Silicon
    Valley, REVOLUTION OS tracks down the key movers and shakers behind
    Linux, and finds out how and why Linux became such a potent threat.

    REVOLUTION OS features interviews with Linus Torvalds, Richard Stallman,
    Bruce Perens, Eric Raymond, Brian Behlendorf, Michael Tiemann, Larry
    Augustin, Frank Hecker, and Rob Malda.  To view the trailer or the first
    eight minutes go to the ifilm website for REVOLUTION OS.

    http://www.revolution-os.com/
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & President Pro Tempore for Life