2003 Feb 27 13:08

Re: [vox] Starbucks and 802.11b

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 12:58:01PM -0800, error@lostinthenoise.net wrote:
> And to top it off any jerk with dsniff will own the people that are
> willing to pay that much for insecure wireless.

Nope; they're not that stupid -- you have to authenticate over a
SSL-encrypted website (which is cross-platform) first, and then only
your data packets (authented via DHCPed IP and MAC, I'd assume) are
allowed through until you log out.

If you don't log out (most people forget), then it would be pretty
trivial to assume your MAC and IP.