2003 Feb 21 00:00

Re: [vox] [OT] How/where to dispose of power supply

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Samuel Merritt wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:02:50PM -0800, Harry S wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 09:46:08PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > >
> > > I've got a busted PC power supply, and I don't really think that
> > > dumping it in the local trash bin is a good/environmental idea.
> > >
> > > Where can I rid myself of it, where it'll be disposed of properly,
> > > or recycled?
> >
> > I doubt that most people give it any thought when they dump their old
> > computer and monitor in the trash bin. I expect lead from monitors, old
> > computers and even old cell phones will be a big waste problem soon --
> > maybe they already are.
>
> Actually, lead in monitors is pretty much all in the glass in front.
> Part of the government's nuclear waste storage plan involves mixing the
> radioactive waste into molten glass in order to make it chemically
> unavailable to the environment. With that in mind, I'd say that leaded
> glass is not at all a problem.

This ignores the fact that CRT's disposed of in landfills are almost
certain to be crushed in the compaction phase, thereby increasing the
surface-area-to-volume ratio drastically.

See http://www.enveng.ufl.edu/homepp/townsend/Research/CRT/CRTDec99.pdf

> Now, hazardous materials in capacitors, PCBs, ICs, etc. are a problem;
> I'm not denying that, just the bit about leaded glass.

Well, skepticism is a good thing, but so is peer review.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing