2003 Feb 20 23:35

Re: [vox] [OT] How/where to dispose of power supply

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:02:50PM -0800, Harry S wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 09:46:08PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >
> > I've got a busted PC power supply, and I don't really think that
> > dumping it in the local trash bin is a good/environmental idea.
> >
> > Where can I rid myself of it, where it'll be disposed of properly,
> > or recycled?
>
> I doubt that most people give it any thought when they dump their old
> computer and monitor in the trash bin. I expect lead from monitors, old
> computers and even old cell phones will be a big waste problem soon --
> maybe they already are.

Actually, lead in monitors is pretty much all in the glass in front.
Part of the government's nuclear waste storage plan involves mixing the
radioactive waste into molten glass in order to make it chemically
unavailable to the environment. With that in mind, I'd say that leaded
glass is not at all a problem.

Now, hazardous materials in capacitors, PCBs, ICs, etc. are a problem;
I'm not denying that, just the bit about leaded glass.

--
Samuel Merritt