2003 Feb 20 14:37

[vox] Installfest networking

Is there anybody who has a laptop configured and registered for internet
access in the dorms? (The MAC address must be registered at
computingaccounts.ucdavis.edu and the computer must be configured to use
dhcp)

Could you go to 1131 EUII (where we hold installfests), test whether you
can get on the internet from there, and report back to vox?
(I'd do it myself, but I can't bike my Dell tower over there)

I have this suspicion that the network access controls around campus
aren't so fine-grained that EUII is different from the dorms, and I'd
like to test that suspision. If internet turns out to work, I'd be
willing to register the Demo machine's MAC (or the MAC of our favorite
router, whatever that would be), so that we could connect at
Installfests without having to go through conniptions to do it.
(Currently we route through the demo machine, run a long wire down the
hall to the club room, and use MAC spoofing on the demo machine to
accomplish this feat.)

--
PGP/GPG Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
Import with `gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key E2B2CAD1`