2003 Feb 17 23:15

Re: [vox] [OT] telemarketing calls

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> in an effort to reduce my phone bill, i got rid of the privacy manager
> yesterday.
>
> last night i received 3 telemarketing calls from 2 different companies.
> today i've received 2 calls from different companies, and it's not even
> noon time.
>
> i'm curious -- am i receiving more than my fair share of telephone spam?
> or does the world really put up with this amount of junk phone calls?
>
> how many telemarketing calls are people getting per day to their
> residential lines?

Sounds about right if you're a listed number. My roommate gets anywhere
from 1-6 telemarketting calls a day. It's more annoying when she's not
here because her answering machine beeps continuously with new messages
and is poorly designed and can't filter out blank messages (which I find
amusing because it's like a $200 Sony thing while my cheap $20 AT&T
answering machine always filters blank/hang-up calls). I have an unlisted
number and I get usually 1 call a day, and almost always from one of the
big telecom companies wanting me to switch my local/long-distance calling
plan.

A warning about the Tele-zapper/three-tone on the answering machine thing:
Not just telemarketters use predictive dialers. I used to work for a
company that was a subcontracter for another company which made service
calls for health insurance, automobile service shops, etc. The closest
thing to telemarketting they did (in addition to the aforementioned
informational campaigns) was customer satisfaction surveys. They used a
predictive dialer to make these calls (and it was actually a good one,
tuned to do that "hang-up" thing, technically known as an "abandoned call"
on less than 1/2 percent of the calls). It would rather suck to miss out
on being told something important about your health insurance or a recall
campaign for your automobile because the three-tone doesn't care if it's a
legitimate call or not. I believe credit card companies also use
predictive dialers when they have issues with your account such as a huge
charge they want to be sure is authorized (had that happen after my credit
card number was stolen and I tried to do a balance transfer of another
card a few months later) or a bill that was accidently returned to them as
"undeliverable" because the mail carrier was too stupid to deliver it to
the right address (been there, done that, filed a complaint with the
postmaster and still lost mail on a regular basis).

Shwaine