2003 Feb 17 23:44

Re: [vox] [OT] telemarketing calls

> > What you have sounds just about right.  Lately I'm getting recordings; not
> > even a live person.  What's worse, I've even gotten recordings asking me to
> > pick a menu; "Press (1) for ...
> Arrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!! I hate these the most especially when they
> call at 8:45pm after Isaac is sleeping.  The most recent one
> required that you listen to a 10 minute spiel and call another
> number and listen to a 5 minute spiel before you could leave
> a message for someone to call back.  I asked to be placed on their
> do not call list and the person on the other end seemed shocked
> that I would want that.

Isn't this... ILLEGAL?  I remember when they PASSED that law, f'r cryin' out
loud; my parents were all happy because, at the time, the telemarketers had these
really evil recorded messages that wouldn't relinquish the phone line *even if
you hung up*.  You'd hang up the phone and pick it up a few seconds later, and
the machine would still be jabbering away.  You couldn't place or receive any
calls until the spiel was done.  It really sucked.
<google search>
Ah, here it is.  The Telephone Consumer Protection Act, passed 1991, apparently
also known as 47 U.S.C. section 227. [1]  227(b)(1)(B) specifically outlaws
prerecorded pitches:
"Unsolicited prerecorded telephone solicitations to residential telephone lines
without prior express consent or prior business relationship are prohibited."

You can apparantly sue for $500 per violation, treble damages for willful
violations.  Mmmm, free money.  :)

www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/tcpa.html
www.dianamey.com/Prerecorded_automated_calls.html
www.epic.org/privacy/telemarketing

--nicole twn

[1] Does anyone know how to enter special characters in vi?  Like, say, the
"section" (funny-looking "S") character?  Shanks.
***
"I hope I never end up in one of your quotes."--name withheld out of mercy
Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital nonsense for a weary world.