2003 Feb 12 01:56

Re: [vox] Another support story...

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:

> Here is another example of dealing with first-string support. I can't
> believe his solution. Why can't Dell just support the hardware?
>
> BTW: Has anyone else had this problem or something similar?

<snip emails to/from Dell>

I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 and I followed the instructions from
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ for both the 4000 and 4100 and my suspend
to disk works reasonably well. I found out yesterday when I accidently
fat-fingered myself into suspend while in X that X doesn't perfectly
handle suspend. When it came back up, none of my windows would refresh
properly, although they did accept all commands typed in them and I could
switch between windows. So I was able to save all my coding and restart X
and go on my way.

One thing that was mentioned time and again in the people's experiences on
Linux Laptops webpage was that the proper program to create the suspend
disk is somewhat hidden and Dell indicates you need to use another program
which actually doesn't work. What program did you use to create the
hibernate partion? You want to use mks2d which may or may not be on the
Dell Support CD. Here's just one of the many links from Linux Laptops (for
the 4000) which explains the issue, page down to "Suspend to Disk"
section:

http://theory.gsi.de/~vanhees/dell-inspiron/

And here's a page for the 3800 that refers to using the same utility plus
tells you how large that partition needs to be for the 3800:

http://legoland.mednet.ucla.edu/loening/linux-3800.html

Shwaine