2003 Feb 11 15:26

Re: [vox] ucd virus question

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 02:33:29PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:

> Klez is worse. Occasionally I find myself recieving emails saying that I
> *sent* a klez infected message. I never send viruses, and Klez always
> sends itself out disguised as somebody else's email address. I expect
> virus checker makers to know that. So why do these virus checkers send
> me the email about a message I never sent?

I expected to get a lot more erroneous 'complaints' like that myself.
Fortunately (and this could be because of sane mail filters at my ISP),
I've only received a handful.

Whenever I do, I make sure to e-mail the recipient (the person "I" apparently
sent the virus to) and the administrators (of the system where the virus
complaint originated) and point them to this web page:

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bill/virus/

Feel free to lift that and use it yourself. ;^)
(Credit is appreciated, of course.)

--
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                    Was I useful?  Rate this message!
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick