2003 Feb 10 17:40

Re: [vox] ucd virus question

It sounds like:

   1. a virus was sent out
   2. some virus checker caught the virus
   3. they *deleted* the virus
   4. they delivered the email to you less the virus

It sounds like a reasonable action.  I wouldn't want them blocking
any e-mail that is potentially legit, but wouldn't want virus traveling to
my system, no matter what virus or how it may or may not have been sent...

-Mark

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> to people who may know ucd policy:
>

> every so often, i still get klez viruses to my lifshitz.ucdavis.edu
> account.  along with the message, there's an attachment that says:
>

>    ------------------  Virus Warning Message (on tripoli)
>
>    Found virus WORM_KLEZ.H in file width.bat
>    The file is deleted.
>
>    UCD Virus scanner found virus.  Contact ithelp@ucdavis.edu with
>    questions.
>
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>

> in other words:
>
> 1. a virus was sent out
> 2. some virus checker caught the virus
> 3. they delivered the email to me anyhow
>
> it's my understanding that klez sends itself out without piggybacking on
> a "real" email.  in other words, something other than the user triggers
> the virus to be sent.
>
> does anybody know why ucd insists on sending out the email after the
> virus is caught?
>
> also, does ucd make any attempt to look at connection logs and track
> down systems that send this stuff out?
>
> pete
>
> --
> First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you,
> then you win. -- Gandhi, being prophetic about Linux.

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.