2003 Feb 10 01:36

Re: [vox] What's your uptime!?

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Anyone got some more impressive uptimes?  150 days or higher is good.
> I'm thinking maybe showing the top 10 or top 5 would be suitable.
>
> What do people think?

Unless people in Davis have a good UPS (I lack the funds to buy a long
lasting one), then the winter power outages that seem to hit various parts
of town, not to mention rolling blackouts in the summer, tend to put a
dampener in long uptimes. My UPS didn't outlast that hour-ish long power
outage 2 months ago from that "hurricane force" wind storm. Power outages
and hardware upgrades are the primary things that take my machine down
though.

Perhaps a more realistic measure would be "number of reboots in past x
years due to the OS or OS patches and not external factors". Windows would
lose hands-down in that metric.