2003 Feb 07 09:54

Re: [vox] This is probably a dumb question (DocBook and MS-Word stuff)

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 09:44:05PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> Once you've written a document using DocBook, is it possible to export
> that document to something that MS-Word can use while preserving the
> formatting?

Absolutely. For instance, you could use Norman Walsh's XSLT
stylesheets to transform it into XSL-FO, and use Apache FOP to produce
an RTF-format file from it.

But, "Preserving the formatting" is a vague term, since DocBook *has*
no formatting - it is content-based, not format-based, which means
that it is the source document to some processing tool which will
produce formatted output *from* it. In particular, you could not in
general translate DocBook to RTF, edit it in MS Word, and then expect
to produce DocBook from the edited RTF.

-Micah