2003 Feb 01 07:59

Re: [vox] Censorship => signoff

hi mark,

thanks for your (and micah's) support.  you didn't miss any emails --
the whole business DID come from left field.  the reason is because i
kept the whole affair private to avoid publically embarrassing karsten.
you see what i got for my pains.  basically here's what happened:

1. karsten breaks list rules.
2. i ask him not to (politely).
3. karsten is rude to rod roark and katie while breaking list rules.
4. i tell him if he breaks list rules, his posts will be moderated.
5. karsten loses all control and goes insane publically.

of course, there's loads of details in each step.  there's more to it
than that.  someone had lied about seeing a post vanish from our
archive.  karsten wrote an apology that he wanted me to cut and paste to
the mailing lists (as in, he wanted me to apologize and wrote the
apology for me).  the whole thing got pretty surreal.

anyway, bill and i are both crafting our own independent responses and
will make them public soon.

the reason why you haven't seen our response yet is because both bill
and i have jobs, whereas karsten has none.  bill has a wife.  i have a
fiance.  karsten has none.  the evenings and weekends are when bill
spends time with melissa and i spend time with rhonda.  i don't know
what the heck karsten does with his free time.  read mailing lists, i
suppose.

neither one of us has the wealth of time that karsten has.  but more
importantly, this affair simply isn't as important to us as it is to
karsten.  there's more to life than a stupid email list.  anyone who
lets email evoke such a strong emotion is ... well, frankly, unbalanced.

also, i'm not entirely sure i want responses on the mailing lists
anyhow.  i'm sending this one because i know everyone's pretty confused.
lugod's main mission has always been to get and support new linux users,
to "geekify the populace and to have fun doing it".  the mailing lists
need to reflect this.  i'd rather not air dirty laundry in the public.
looks bad for linux.

but a reply will be coming sooner or later.  it's just not as high up on
my "todo" list as, say, spending time with my fiance or my phd research.

pete

ps- just to reiterate what mark said - yes, the mailing list
administrator is a dirty job.  nobody likes to be told what to do.
obviously, some people go bananas over it.  and i still seem to be
spending at least an hour a day (a good solid straight hour) on spam
control.   :-/

begin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>