2003 Feb 02 14:36

Re: [vox] [fwd] Time servers (ntp) wanted

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 03:59:46AM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > Let me assume for a moment that I make my system available as an NTP
> > server.
> >
> > How do I keep *my* system from time drifting?
>
> Keep yours up to date (no pun intended) by running ntpdate on another
> NTP server? ;^)

But the whole point of creating more NTP servers is because the standard
ones are always too busy.  You could:

   - Assume the standard NTP servers' loads will lessen once the
     new NTP servers are ready, but people won't use yours
     until yours is working, and yours can't work unless people
     start using yours to lessen the others NTP servers!  Classic
     chicken-and-egg.  Of course, in practice, this probably
     won't be a real problem, but it's a food for thought.

   - Use one of the other newer NTP servers in your round-robin
     set.  This won't work since all the new NTP servers will
     then drift together.

Of course, in practice it won't be a problem but it's interesting to point
it out.

> Atomic clock?
>
> Completely anal-retentiveness?

Heh...

> -bill!
> (it's WAY past my bedtime!)

Yes, Bill, it is.  What are you doing up?  ^_^