2003 Jan 31 21:41

Re: [vox] [OT] radio shack

I know this is an old e-mail but I wanna ask some rhetorical
question/statement:

   1. If you walk out without getting your receipt checked,
      can you still return the item?  (Yes, you can mark it
      off with your own hi-lighter, but then technically
      it's not legit, is it?  And it's pretty hypocritical
      to question the store's legal rights then you break
      the law yourself by returning an item to the store
      with an illegit receipt.  That assumes, of course,
      it's official policy of the store to not allow
      item returns with illegit receipts.)

   2. They can't reserve the right to search your bag,
      but they can refuse to sell you items until you agree
      to let them search you before exitting the store.

   3. I wouldn't think they're checking for price collisions;
      the receipts are too complicated to do that.  I'd think
      they're there more to count the number of items, if anything
      at all.  Though Peter's experience is interesting, I'd
      be more curious of what would happen if you switch receipts
      that have different number of items on them.

-Mark (Nowhere near Fry's... anymore)

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote:

> Up spake Joel Baumert on Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 04:55:12PM -0800:
> > I have always wondered if they could actually bar my way
> > out of the store if I decided not to show them my receipt?
> >
> > The transaction was carried out at the register... I gave
> > them money for the product which is now mine.  The receipt
> > is mine... I don't think that they have any right to detain
> > me at that point.  If they decided to hold me at that point
> > wouldn't it be false arrest or unlawful search and search
> > and seizure?
>
> IANAL.  My understanding of the law is that they cannot bar your
> way unless they are accusing you of theft/fraud/some other bona fide crime.
> They can refuse to do business with you altogether (not an issue after
> you've passed the register), but they can't search your bags without your
> permission.
>
> Their signs stating that they "reserve the right to search you" are
> bollocks; they can't reserve a right they never had.  They could just
> as well put up a sign that says they reserve the right to kill you.
>
> Bill said:
> > Lose Windows now, ask me how!
>
> Does it involve a young priest and an old priest?
>
> --nicole twn
>
> ***
> "A little pain never hurt anyone."--from the Compendium of Rarely Used Cliches
> Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital nonsense for a weary world.

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.