2003 Jan 28 16:12

Re: [vox] [OT] Looking for cell phone suggestions

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 03:20:46PM -0800, Michael J Wenk wrote:
> I have AT&T Wireless now, and I think I am TDMA(Nokia 3360.) I apologize in
> advance if this is GSM, I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to cellular
> phones and technology.  My only problem(take this with a grain of salt, as I

Yes, the Nokia xx6x phones are all "tri-mode" TDMA (2 frequencies of TDMA,
as well as analog) and in my area (west of you) with AT&T it's the option
with the best coverage.  The xx9x phones are all GSM.  I've got an 8265, but
unless you really care about size a whole lot, the 3360 (or 3390; same case,
same basic software, different electronics) is a better bet for most.  (it's
reasonably small, internal antenna, and so cheap that (counting a rebate),
AT&T sometimes tries to give them away for nothing.  ($80))

For now, AT&T's GSM coverage doesn't cover as much area as their TDMA
coverage; if you go into one of the real AT&T wireless stores and act like
somebody trying to pick between a TDMA and a GSM phone, you can probably
find somebody that will actually tell you whether their GSM covers specific
regions.  (for instance, TDMA covers my mother's house, but GSM doesn't)

Eventually, AT&T's GSM coverage will be the one with more area; they're
planning on adding GSM to all their existing towers and any new towers
deployed after that will be GSM only.

(disclaimer: my own, largely positive, experience with AT&T TDMA service has
been primarily in Sonoma County, with occassional visits to Marin County,
SF, south bay, and very visits to the Davis area)

To my mind there's 2 main features to shop for with cellphones:
1) service coverage area and reception
2) physical size and weight.

With UI coming in third.
--