2003 Jan 29 01:13

Re: [vox] Workspot is back

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:03:20PM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:24:40PM -0800, andy wergedal (awerg@yahoo.com) wrote:
> > I just read that http://www.workspot.com is back.
> >
> > It's now subscription based but the same concept as before.
> >

> > In case you have never heard of Workspot... It allows you
> > to connect to a linux desktop (redhat 8.0 with gnome blue
> > curve) from a browser. You get an account on a linux system
> > and have a online desktop all for $9.95 per month.
>
> What I never understood...
>
> WorkSpot offers universal access to a given virtual workstation.
>
> It's always semed to me that a terminal-server type product, with
> hardware and configuration support, localized to a client, would be a
> more suitable product.

Maybe; but that technology (what they currently use) is already
available for free, no? Or do I misunderstand?

> Few operations want to outsource actual storage of their data and live
> business operations.  At least that's my general take.  Why not offer a
> solution which eliminates many of the costs of desktop maintenance, but
> keeps operations centralized at the office.

I agree emphatically with this, which is why I think their business
model sucked. At the moment, they seem to be marketing it once again
to individuals, primarily for the purpose of "trying out Linux", or
being able to access a basic Linux station remotely. I think they
should stick to this, maybe. This is what earned them Slashdot fame,
anywho.

> The broader, roaming, "accessible from anywhere" desktop concept still
> has its uses (particularly for sales, demos, education and/or training,
> and other remote access uses), but doesn't IMO present a compelling
> business solution.  That's been my issue with WorkSpot from the start.

Same here.

Before I joined their company, I thought, "Wow! What a neat idea! But
how do they make money?"  ...then I joined and discovered... they don't.

Actually, they probably made more money from the "web portal"-style
software they wrote for Palm Pilot...

-Micah