2003 Jan 28 14:01

Re: [vox] Workspot is back

on Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:24:40PM -0800, andy wergedal (awerg@yahoo.com) wrote:
> I just read that http://www.workspot.com is back.
>
> It's now subscription based but the same concept as before.
>

> In case you have never heard of Workspot... It allows you
> to connect to a linux desktop (redhat 8.0 with gnome blue
> curve) from a browser. You get an account on a linux system
> and have a online desktop all for $9.95 per month.

What I never understood...

WorkSpot offers universal access to a given virtual workstation.

It's always semed to me that a terminal-server type product, with
hardware and configuration support, localized to a client, would be a
more suitable product.

Few operations want to outsource actual storage of their data and live
business operations.  At least that's my general take.  Why not offer a
solution which eliminates many of the costs of desktop maintenance, but
keeps operations centralized at the office.

The broader, roaming, "accessible from anywhere" desktop concept still
has its uses (particularly for sales, demos, education and/or training,
and other remote access uses), but doesn't IMO present a compelling
business solution.  That's been my issue with WorkSpot from the start.

Peace.