2003 Jan 28 11:59

Re: [vox] Workspot is back

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:24:40PM -0800, andy wergedal wrote:
> I just read that http://www.workspot.com is back.
>
> It's now subscription based but the same concept as before.
>

> In case you have never heard of Workspot... It allows you
> to connect to a linux desktop (redhat 8.0 with gnome blue
> curve) from a browser. You get an account on a linux system
> and have a online desktop all for $9.95 per month.

It's great to see them back! (For those who don't know, I used to work
for them). They were a great company; their business plan just
sucked. It's nice to see them going back to the very original idea -
the one that really earned them their fame - they were later trying to
sell it as "ASP" stuff - where you use a "Thin Client" to access a
server which actually runs the software you use. While this is a great
idea for some limited areas, the reality is that this is the way we
*used* to do computers in the old days, until we realized that
everything's so much better if we make the workstations the powerful
machines, and offload a great deal of the responsibility from the
servers.

I'll be very interested to see how things progress.

Thanks, Andy, for the link.

-Micah