2003 Jan 28 02:04

Re: [vox] [OT] Looking for cell phone suggestions

Re: [vox] [OT] Looking for cell phone suggestions

It would appear that on Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Rod Roark did say:

> All I want is a reliable, sturdy phone.  A flip-thingy to protect the
> buttons would be nice, and good battery life, and not too heavy (say 5
> oz. max).

I would heartily recommend the Nokia 3395 fromeither Cingular or T-Mobile.
I don't know what the coverage on either[1] is like up in Davis but the
phone itself is rock solid. My 18 month old has gotten into the throwing
stage and my phone has been launched across the apartment several times
:/

My wife actually upgraded her phone to one of them today as well.

as far as your req.s go:
No flip thingy but keylock is just Menu-* and it works. My first 3 phones
had a flip and I really don't miss it from the most recent 3 - Nokia 3210,
3390 and 3395 in order.
I get about 5 days idle from a Li-Ion battery I picked up (with a cable
for gnokii[2]) on eBay way cheap. With teh standard NiMH it's something
like 3 days. I get several hours talk time with either.
It's under your weight requirement at 3.95 oz (with Li-Ion battery and a
belt clip)

> I hear AT&T has the best coverage around here, so TDMA
> compatibility would be best.  Sprint PCS would probably also
> be OK.  Anyone tried Verizon?

AT&T are converting their network to GSM[3], so you may be able to get a
339X with them. I think they're doing deals on the 3590, which is an
update to the 3300 series.

Verizon means Kyocera, LG, Motorola, Audiovox or one old crusty Nokia.
They've also got some MSN tie in thingy.

SprintPCS have Samsung, Sanyo, Kyocera, LG and some own brand stuff

Oh yeah - just realised - another reason to go Nokia (for the 3590 at
least) is the Linux dev. kit released last week, which brings us back on
topic for the second time this message ;)

[1] I think it's a moot point since they're sharing Cingular's network in
    CA - AFAIK anyway
[2] see - back on topic ;)
[3] the way of the future baby!

johnmc.