2003 Jan 28 11:26

Re: [vox] PDFs

begin Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
> on Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 08:23:39PM +0530, karthikeyan.balasubramanian (karthikeyan.balasubramanian@aspiresys.com) wrote:

good advice snipped

> I'd strongly encourage you to use HTML instead.  Stick to PDF *only*
> for material which requires printing.

aside from these types of arguments, context can also define medium.

the stuff that i do, for example, is completely unsuited for html.
latex2html documents (aside from being almost as ugly as the tk widget
set) are very painful to read for more than just a simple and short
scientific discussion.

as someone who has read loop quantum gravitational papers that were
processed through latex2html, i can vouch for this.

sorry to say, but for hardcore math and science, html is simply the
wrong medium.  i prefer postscript to pdf, but stock windows and macs
don't seem to know what to do with ps files.

i wish someone wrote an open source version of IBM's techexplorer (a
browser plugin that renders .tex documents!).  that would make most
serious scientists, researchers, postdocs and grad students par-tay
down.

pete