2003 Jan 26 14:24

Re: [vox] Debian & $?

begin Lorie Obal <lobal@cds1.net>
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>

> > Now... if there IS something up, and your friend has some reference,
> > please share!  But, from what I can see poking around the web and IRC,
> > it's not as serious as your friend makes it sound.
> >

> It was not a posting by anyone I know.  Perhaps they took the "donations
> sought" to mean they are about to join the roll at fuckedcompny.com.
>
> I hope not.  I'm doing research on the emergence of open source.

hi lorie,

i seriously doubt it.  debian is, AFAIK, an all volunteer effort.  i
don't think anyone gets paid for their effort.  there's some small stuff
like domain renewal perhaps, but i'm sure the *required* money is
miniscule.  AFAIK, debian is not susceptible to the hardships that a
profit making corporation is.

not that money wouldn't be useful.  just not necessary.  the kind of
people who use debian are roughly the same kind of people with both the
skill and gumption to donate time to the project if they really needed
it.

pete